Leading into Week 5 matchups… our 6A edition of the Mother’s Window Tint Big Ten.
|1||Lake Travis||Won 66-21 vs Austin High||1|
|2||Westlake||Won 54-0 vs Lehman||2|
|3||Cedar Ridge||Won 35-17 vs Stony Point||3|
|5||Bowie||Lost 35-28 vs Hays||4|
|6||Round Rock||Won 51-42 vs Westwood||6|
|7||Westwood||Lost 51-42 vs Round Rock||10|
|8||Vandegrift||Won 36-7 vs Vista Ridge||8|
|9||Del Valle||Lost 21-14 vs Akins||NR|
|10||Lehman||Lost 54-0 vs Westlake||NR|
1. LAKE TRAVIS (3-1) Coming off a convincing 50-7 win over Hendrickson, the Cavaliers remain our top team. Brewer’s brilliance continues, with another 4 passing TD showing. Opening district on the road at Lehman, LT will play a Lobos team that has won its past 2 contests.
2. WESTLAKE (3-1) The emergence of Westlake’s Nakia Watson continues, with 200+ yards/3 TDs in a win over Bowie. Matt Gense has improved with each game, but rumors are that UT-commit QB Sam Ehlinger will attempt to return this week…stay tuned. The defense never gets enough credit (except from us), but Tony Salazar’s squad deserves a hardy shout out – LB Levi Jones, DB Barrett Chambers provide senior leadership to some talented newcomers.
3. CEDAR RIDGE (4-0) Getting their signature win at Temple last week got the Associated Press’ attention. The Raiders are now ranked 12th in the State, attention long overdue for this rapidly rising program. The Raiders visit a Hendrickson team looking for redemption to open district.
4. BELTON (3-1) – Tigers QB Peyton Mansell is going for 500+ total yards each game, and looks like an all State performer. Coach Bob Shipley opens district play versus a talented Harker Heights team.
5. BOWIE (3-1) We can forgive a loss to State ranked Westlake, keeping Bowie inside the top five. Its a long non-district road, as the Bulldogs have another one lined up at Abilene Cooper this Friday.
6. ROUND ROCK (2-2) Last week’s one possession loss to Belton might have gone the other way with a few breaks going RR’s way. Coach Jeff Cheatham happily wraps up non-district, opening district play versus Stony Point.
7. WESTWOOD (3-1) Ok, Warriors defense, we see you. Shutting out Vista Ridge during homecoming last week was certainly an accomplishment for a squad who’s offense has gotten all the love. At its highest point of our Big 10 since the 2013 season, the Warriors enjoy a well-deserved bye week.
8. VANDEGRIFT (1-3) One point loss on the road at Harker Heights. Despite the 1-3 overall record, we still believe Vandy has one of the most talented collection of football players in the area. Their 6A debut happens at home versus Westlake.
9. DEL VALLE (2-2) Look out now! Coach Charles Burton’s Cardinals are on a 2 game win streak, and are getting stronger each week. One final non-district tune up awaits on the road at Ennis.
10. LEHMAN (2-2) Huge props to the Lobos. After not winning a game in 2015, Coach Todd Raymond’s scrappy bunch have strung together consecutive wins. They won’t face a tougher challenge all year, as the Cavalier of Lake Travis visit Shelton Stadium for their district opener.